Monday, December 2, 2013

Drama Tenants Need Not Apply

Here's a great post about tenants who are all about the drama.  Using a real-life example, the author explains why to avoid them and gives tips on how to spot them during the application screening process.

The final quality of a great tenant is something I call their “stress quotient” or the amount of stress a tenant will cause you, the landlord. Some tenants are very high maintenance and constantly demand time and attention. Unless you are having a hard time finding quality tenants – these types will only cause more problems.


I can give you a personal example from my own landlording.  I had an applicant call about a property I had for rent.  I offered to show her the property and told her I lived about 60 miles away and had a limited time window for this.  She explained that she was fresh out of the military, had medical issues, had a service dog who really was not a service dog, and that she was looking at several properties in wildly different areas of the state.

When showing time came the next day, she was nowhere to be seen.  She called and said that she had been tied up with a crisis related to work but was on the way.  Then she called to say she had got lost.  I told her I had to go, but she could walk outside of the house and look through the windows.  She said she would be there in 30 minutes.  Two hours later, she called and said that she had stopped for ice cream, but had just got to the place and it was wonderful and she wanted to apply.  Fortunately for me, I had locked in another tenant during that two hours and told her she could send in an application but it would be on hold.  Needless to say, she never sent it.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/11/tenant-screening-headache-factor-real-life-story/

No comments:

Post a Comment