Sunday, February 16, 2014

Good News!

As many of you may know, I struggle to keep a human element in my business as a landlord.  It has at times cost me money.  One lesson I learned the hard way is that there is a point where you are not helping a tenant who is falling further and further behind in their obligations.

I thought I might have reached that point with one of my tenants recently.  Starting in December, he stopped paying rent.  Although he made a payment in January, it did not even cover the January bills.  Although I did not doubt their intentions, I wondered if they were in a place they could not afford.  The businessman in me was pushing to evict, but I wanted to give them another couple weeks.

On Thursday, the tenant gave me a large payment that went a long way to catching up, in spite of continuing difficulties the family is having.  I believe the rest of the money will be forthcoming soon.  Plus I was able to stay true to what I wanted this business to be like, with a human face and not just run by numbers.

Sometimes believing in people can have it's own reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment